Garage Door Opener Installation & How to Do It Right
Garage door openers let us control garage doors by pushing a button. Their electric motors last up to 10-15 years with regular maintenance. Although it is possible to repair or replace a garage door opener yourself, we recommend hiring professionals if you don’t have the experience or skills to do it properly.
- 10 Years in industry
- 2000+ completed projects
- Always fair price, free estimate & guaranteed satisfaction
- Average Arrival For Emergency: 1 hour
- Average Arrival For Other Services: 2-3 hours
Make Sure You Really Need It
On the positive side; a new garage door opener provides improved security, convenience, and increased energy efficiency - even on an old garage door. However, installing a new one can be costly and require additional modifications. That's why it's always a good idea to check if you can repair your existing opener instead.
Signs There's a Problem
There's usually a problem with a garage door opener when the door:
- Opens and closes more slowly than usual;
- Produces screeching or scraping noises;
- Gets stuck or stalls;
- Works intermittently;
- Won't open or close;
- Reverses when opening or closing.
A Quick Inspection Checklist
Here is a garage door opener inspection checklist:
- Listen for any strange or loud noises.
- Check for loose bolts, nuts, or lag screws that could be causing issues.
- Inspect all sensors, photo eyes, and other safety features.
- Check the level of the garage door header bracket, ceiling bracket, and door bracket.
- Look for signs of wear and tear on the opener itself.
- Make sure the door is opening and closing at its usual speed.
- Verify that the door is not coming off its tracks while in motion.
- Test the remote control to ensure it's functioning correctly.
Benefits of Installing a New Garage Door Opener
With a new garage door opener, you can control the door remotely with a smartphone app, making it easier to access your garage and keep it secure. But, while it can be a good investment, it's only sometimes necessary. If you need clarification, call Garage Door Repair & Installation. We'll get to the root of the problem and advise you on the best solution.
Can You Handle It by Yourself?
While possible to install it yourself, we recommend hiring a qualified garage door opener installer. Doing so ensures that it is installed correctly and safely. A qualified technician has the necessary experience and knowledge to complete the job properly and often offers service warranties, which is an added bonus.
How Much Does It Cost to Fix?
Installing a new garage door opener can increase your home's convenience, safety, and security. Generally, the installation cost ranges from $218 to $524 and can include extras such as remote controls or keypads. Before making a decision, it is important to consider any extra charges, such as labor or disposal fees.
Tips for Choosing the Right Garage Door Opener
Follow these tips to select a suitable garage door opener:
- Motor power: It should be strong enough to open and close the door.
- Safety features: Openers should have motion sensors and automatic reverse mechanisms.
- Convenience features: Remote control, keyless entry, and wireless keypads are invaluable.
- Guarantees: Is there a warranty?
Considerations When Purchasing a New Garage Door Opener
Think about the following:
- Consider the weight of the garage door and the size of the garage door frame, as well as the type of drive system needed (chain, belt, or screw drive).
- Assess your budget—factor in the opener, installation fees, and additional features.
- The noise level, some openers are quieter than others.
Types of Garage Door Openers
There are many different types of openers. These include:
- Chain drive openers - use a chain to lift and lower the door.
- Belt drive openers - use a belt instead of a chain and are quieter.
- Screw drive openers - use a threaded rod and arm.
- Jackshaft openers - use an arm.
- Direct drive openers - use a motor for a quiet operation.
How to replace a garage door opener successfully:
- Read the installation instructions carefully and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Gather the necessary tools for installation, such as a drill, screws, and a level.
- When installing a garage door opener, make sure it is secure and level.
Maintenance Tips and Reasons for Breakage
Helpful maintenance tips and the common causes of breakage in most garage doors:
Reasons for Garage Door Openers Breaking
- Improper installation or rusty parts;
- Worn-out springs or cables;
- Malfunctioning opener or a faulty connection between the door and control panel;
- Security issues due to outdated technology.
General Maintenance Tips for Garage Door Openers
- Tighten any loose bolts or nuts;
- Clean the tracks regularly to remove dirt, debris, and buildup;
- Lubricate the door's moving parts;
- Test the safety features;
- Ensure electrical components are in good condition;
- Replace any broken or worn-out parts immediately.
Leave It to Professionals!
Safety Garage Door Repair & Installation are top-rated garage door opener installers servicing San Francisco, San Diego, and the surrounding areas.
Our experienced professionals provide superior customer service and quality workmanship on all garage door opener installation and repair jobs.
We offer a wide range of services, from basic door opener installations to complex garage door repairs, replacements, and maintenance.
Whether you need a garage door opener replacement or a new installation, Safety Garage Door Repair & Installation will provide you with the highest quality service and results.
Garage Door & Opener Brands We Work with
Proudly Serving All the Following Cities and Their Surroundings
San Francisco Bay Area
San Diego Area
Safety Garage Door Repair & Installation is dedicated to serving all of the San Diego Area, especially San Diego, North San Diego, East San Diego, and South San Diego counties.
- 4S Ranch
- Bay Park / Bay Ho
- Del Mar
- El Cajon
- Fairbanks Ranch
- Golden Hill
- La Jolla
- La Mesa
- Mission Bay
- Mission Hills
- National City
- North Park
- Pacific Beach
- Point Loma
- Rancho San Diego
- Rancho Santa Fe
- San Diego
- Scripps Ranch
- Solana Beach
- South Park
- Sorento Valley
- Spring Valley
Get Your Broken Garage Door Opener Replaced by a Pro Today!
FAQs about Garage Door Opener Installation
How do you install a garage door opener the best way?
How much headroom do I need to install my garage door opener?
Are labor costs covered on door and opener repairs?