How Much Does a Garage Door Cost?
We know that a garage door is an important part of your home and needs to be functional and aesthetically pleasing. But if you're like many homeowners, you might wonder, "How much does a garage door cost?".
In this blog, we'll discuss the various factors that affect the cost of garage doors and provide an estimate of what you should expect to pay. Remember, sometimes, you can opt for garage door repair instead of a replacement. We'll also cover other integral details such as warranties, installation costs, and more.
What Is the Average Cost of a Garage Door?
The cost of installing a garage door depends on the material chosen. Different materials are better suited for different conditions, such as wind, rain, and dents, and offer different looks.
For example, wood composite doors are moisture-resistant but look like real wood grain, while glass garage doors are best for a stylish statement and letting in light. Each has its pros and cons and varied price points, which you see below:
Garage Door Cost: Factors to Consider
Single or Double Door
Some garages have one large door or individual doors for each vehicle. Generally, the garage door replacement cost of a single wide door is less than multiple single-car doors since it requires less hardware and labor.
- One-car garage: $500 – $2,500
- Two-car garage with a single or double door: $750 – $4,000
Installing a single door can cost up to $500 on average due to more complex labor, and an electrician may be required for automatic doors that need new wiring, with an additional fee of $50-$100 per hour.
Automatic vs. Manual
Should you open the garage door manually or invest in an automatic garage door opener? Installing an opener can cost an extra $370 to $850 in addition to the door's cost. The type of opener, motor power, and extra features like lights and sensors also increase the price.
- Springs: $150
- Hinges: $100
- Bolts: $100
- Tracks: $400
- Lock: $250
Garage Door Cost by Size
The larger the door, the more expensive it will be due to the materials and labor required to install it. In addition, bigger garage doors require additional hardware and stronger tracks to support the weight of the door, which also adds to the cost. If you need a large garage door, it's important to remember that you will likely pay more than you would for a smaller one.
- One-car garage door: $500 – $2,500
- Two-car garage door — single or double door: $750 – $4,000
- Two-car garage with two single doors: $1,100 – $4,700
- Three-car garage with one single and one double door: $1,300 – $6,400
- Three-car garage with three single doors: $1,600 – $7,000
Garage Door Cost by Design
A single garage door, which uses a spring-and-hinge system and can be opened manually, is a popular choice for garage doors. However, if the springs are not properly maintained, these doors can become dangerous. The price range for this door style is $400 to $1,200.
Tilt-up canopy garage doors are constructed from one solid material and equipped with two gear hinges on either side. When opening, the door swings towards the driveway, extending over the garage and spreading like a canopy once fully open. This type of door is slightly louder than other types when opening and closing. Typically, this style of garage door costs between $500 and $1,500.
This tilt-up retractable garage door is a great option for those who want convenience and cost-effectiveness. It features a track at the top of the garage and pivot arms with springs that make it easy to slide and push the door up to the ceiling. This style of door requires a bit more space for the door panel to move, but it won't extend beyond the garage when fully opened. The average cost of this garage door ranges from $600 to $2,000.
Sectional garage doors are the most popular style and come with many benefits. They are reliable and require minimal space as they are made up of four to six hinged panels that open and close along a track to the top of the garage. Additionally, these doors are energy efficient due to the presence of rubber seals along the edges. Sectional garage door prices usually fall between $750 and $2,500.
Roll-up garage doors are the most space-saving option due to their design, which allows them to be rolled up onto a bar instead of being pulled flat against the ceiling. These doors are usually constructed from aluminum, steel, wood, or fiberglass and are divided into sections so that they can be rolled up tightly. They may not be aesthetically pleasing or easily upgraded once installed, but they are resilient and require minimal upkeep. A new garage door costs between $850 and $3,000.
How to Estimate a Garage Door Price
Once you have decided on the type, color, and features you want for your new garage door, it's time to begin your search and consult a knowledgeable garage door specialist. Figuring out the price of a new garage door may seem daunting if you do it on your own.
- Select the garage door size for your needs (single door, double, or custom).
- Search online to get a good idea of how much a new garage door costs, the types of doors available, the material, the color, and the design.
- Call a garage door service provider to schedule a consultation for an accurate idea of the total cost.
- They will measure your door, review the recommended garage door selection, and outline the next steps.
- Based on the costs and benefits, decide if you want to purchase your garage door through a home improvement store or a garage door company.
New Garage Door Cost: Hiring Pro vs. DIY
You may have noticed some home depot stores sell garage doors. The discounted prices might make it seem like a good idea to attempt to install the door on your own. However, installing a garage door should not be a DIY project.
Most garage doors are heavy and awkward to maneuver (it takes more than one person), and the many moving parts make this job risky. Hiring a professional for the job is highly recommended; they have the training and knowledge to install the door quickly and safely.
Although it may be more expensive to have a professional install a garage door initially, it is worth the cost in the long run. Incorrect installation can be dangerous and lead to costly repairs in the future.
What to Be Aware of When Hiring Professional Garage Door Contractors
When searching for a garage door installer, a few things should be taken into consideration. First, does the company offer a warranty? A warranty can provide you with peace of mind if something unexpected happens.
Additionally, it is important to ensure that the company is licensed and insured. This will provide coverage in the event of any accidents or damage to your home. Furthermore, finding out if the company offers full service is beneficial. This includes discarding your old garage door and any future repairs.
How to Save on Garage Door Costs
There are many types of garage doors and many different upgrades, so the cost of a garage door replacement can add up quickly. However, there are a few ways to save money:
- Choose a simple style: If you're looking to stay within your budget, it's best to keep your garage door design simple and avoid adding any custom elements. Doing so can quickly drive up the cost.
- Purchase directly: Buying directly from the supplier is usually less expensive and allows you to select a contractor that fits within your allotted budget.
- Make a list of your must-haves: You may not be able to do without an automatic garage door or keypad entry, but by not opting for expensive finishes or windows that let in natural light, you can remain within your budget.
- Maintain your garage door: Regular maintenance of garage doors helps avoid costly repairs and is generally low maintenance.
- Buy a garage door with a warranty: Investing in a warrantied garage door saves on future repairs.
Garage Door Cost: Conclusion
Before committing to a new garage door, it is advisable to get several estimates to guarantee the best deal. An installation can be costly, but it can be a great investment. A repair might be more affordable, depending on the condition of your garage door.
If you're unsure what to do, reach out to Safety Garage Door Repair & Installation. As leading local garage door installers, our experienced technicians are available to provide you with quality products at affordable prices. Contact us today if you need help installing a new garage door.